Play in the league
Spring Season – April to June
Fall Season – September to October
In 1997 a youth baseball association’s coach invited the first disabled child to play baseball on his team. The 7-year old in his wheelchair attended every game and every practice while cheering on his 5-year old brother playing American’s favorite pastime, baseball. Since 2000 the Miracle League National Office and other chapters have made it possible for children with physical and mental disabilities to achieve the same dream as their healthy peers – to play ball. These children get a reprieve from their daily challenges as soon as they step or roll out onto the ball field.
There’s something about the game that lights up a child’s eyes. It’s an experience that every child deserves. And through The Miracle League, it’s an experience that every child can enjoy. Designed exclusively for children with disabilities, The Miracle League is the first of its kind. The rules are simple. Everyone hits. Everyone gets on base. And everyone crosses home plate.
The Miracle League of Richmond Virginia’s success is directly due to our volunteers and partners’ commitment and belief in our organization. To help make these special children’s dreams reality, we seek your help and community partnership. Together we can achieve this great opportunity to give every child a chance to play baseball.
Volunteers for The Miracle League have a simple set of goals:
- Safety first;
- Playing baseball and having fun; and
On-field Miracle League volunteers, or Buddies, range in age from elementary school to senior citizens. These include family members as well as local youth and civic groups. Though we call them Buddies, many people refer to these volunteers as “Angels in the Outfield.”
Buddies have a unique set of directives:
- Protect the Miracle League player at all times.
- When a hard hitter is up to bat, step in front of their Miracle League player for protection.
- Always allow the Miracle League Player as much freedom as possible to play his/her own game.
- Assist the Miracle League player according to their needs.
- Be of good spirit with enthusiasm, love, good attitude, and concern in motivating the players and their families.
- Become their friend; get to know the players and their families.
- Arrive at field 30 minutes prior to game time.
- Be clean and properly dressed in a Buddies shirt.
- Demonstrate high morals and integrity on and off the field.